Special Education
Special Education

Special Education

Special Education and Related Services are available to students who have a special education need as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Students who have an impairment and a need for special education are delivered services as outlined in an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Services are determined by student need, not categorical label. Decisions regarding services and programming are determined by the IEP team which includes the student, parent(s), special education teacher(s), general education teacher(s), and administrative representative. Additional IEP team members may include the counselor, school psychologist, school social worker, physical therapist, or other related service providers.


Special Education Procedural Safeguards: Rights fo Parents and Children

Click on the title above to access an electronic version of the Procedural Safeguards booklet. 

A printed copy may be requested by contacting Teresa Redmond, Supervisor of Special Education and Assessment.

Service Delivery

Hartford Union High School assures special education in the least restrictive environment (LRE) in which the student can be successful. HUHS has a services-based model to promote student success. Students with special education needs are included in the general education classroom and curriculum to the greatest extent possible. General education teachers and special education teachers work together in a shared ownership, collaborative arrangement to ensure that all students have access to rich and meaningful content while receiving the support and interventions they need to succeed.   A variety of instructional techniques, strategies, and methods are used to address different styles and rates of learning for students with disabilities. 

To most effectively utilize special education teaching staff, every core department (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies) has one or two special education teachers collaborating daily with them to provide support in and out of the classroom.  As such, many students may have two teachers in the classroom on any given day based on the day’s activities and need for support. This best serves all students, not just those with identified special education needs.

A continuum of services is available to meet the needs of students with disabilities.  HUHS also has more intensive programming options for students with significant behavioral and academic needs.  Decisions in regard to services and programming for students with disabilities are made with parents as partners in an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team meeting.


Wisconsin State Parent-Educator Initiative (WSPEI) - This section of the Wisconsin Department of Instruction (DPI) website includes information especially for parents of a child with a disability.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) - Government agency that provides services to students with disabilities and other health concerns as they transition into adult life.  The DVR caseworker assigned to HUHS is Lynn Biertzer.  She can be reached at lynn.biertzer@dwd.wisconsin.gov

Workforce Development - The Wisconsin Workforce Development has helped numerous students with job skills, training, and work experiences.  The caseworker assigned to HUHS is Amy Potter.  She can be reached at apotter2@morainepark.edu

Wisconsin Statewide Transition Initiative (WSTI) - The overarching purpose of WSTI is to improve transition programs and services so that students with disabilities can make a successful transition from high school to postsecondary education or training, employment, and/or independent living.

UW Colleges Student Services - This website provides a brief overview of services provided at two year University of Wisconsin colleges.  Contact names and numbers for these campuses are also listed.

Referral Procedures


Upon request, Hartford Union High School is required to evaluate a child for eligibility for special education services. A request for evaluation is known as a referral. When the district receives a referral, the district will appoint an Individualized Education Program (IEP) team to determine if the child has a disability, and if the child needs special education services. The district locates, identifies, and evaluates all children with disabilities who are enrolled by their parents in private (including religious) schools and secondary schools located in the school district.

A physician, nurse, psychologist, social worker, or administrator of a social agency who reasonably believes a child brought to him or her for services is a child with a disability has a legal duty to refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school district in which the child resides. Before referring the child, the person making the referral must inform the child's parent that the referral will be made.

Others, including parents, who reasonably believe a child is a child with a disability may also refer the child, including a homeless child, to the school district in which the child resides.

Referrals must be in writing and include the reason why the person believes the child is a child with a disability. A referral may be made by contacting Teresa Redmond, Director of Special Education, Hartford Union High School, at (262) 670-3200 ext. 222, or by writing her at 805 Cedar Street, Hartford, WI 53027.

  • Hartford Union High School District
  • 805 Cedar Street, Hartford, WI 53027
  • Phone: 262-670-3200 • Fax: 262-673-8943